Anticipating the Google I/O 2011 announcement
2 January, 2011 § 3 Comments
Any day now there should be an announcement for the early bird registration of Google I/O 2011. Last year I registered on January 17th, and from what I hear online the registration sold out very fast.
To be ready for the announcement, I have set up a Google Alert on the terms “google i/o 2011 registration”. Google Alerts is a system in which Google will email you when their crawler reaches a new item on the internet that matches the search terms you have supplied. This is pretty cool, but what if I’m away from my email when the release happens. How will I know then?
I know, I’ll have it send me a text message! I set up a special filter in Gmail that will forward these Google Alerts straight to my cell phone.
If your cell-phone provider is T-Mobile, you can send an email to <10-digit phone number>@tmomail.net and the email will be forwarded to the phone with that phone number. This combination will allow me to know very quickly when the registration opens.
Here is a list of special email addresses to use if you would like to do the same thing but aren’t using T-Mobile:
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AT&T: email@example.com
- Sprint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nextel: email@example.com
- Cingular: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virgin Mobile: email@example.com
- Alltel: firstname.lastname@example.org OR message.alltel.com
- CellularOne: email@example.com
- Omnipoint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qwest: email@example.com