Things new to me…
10 June, 2011 § 6 Comments
Since moving to Mountain View, California from East Lansing, Michigan, I’ve noticed some things that are different from back home.
- At night, there is a large amount of snails that walk across the sidewalk near my apartment. I stepped on one during my first night here, and I felt really bad for the poor guy. Back in East Lansing, I watched out for toads. Here I’ll watch out for snails. I just wish snails moved faster.
- East Lansing has a pretty restrictive permit for ice cream trucks, so they are pretty rare. Where I’m living in Mountain View, I happen to see someone pushing an ice cream cart just about every day. The cart has a little bell on it that dings as the person walks behind it.
- East Lansing and Lansing are working hard to make their communities more friendly to non-motorized transportation. After a week of living here, I can see that the Lansing area has a lot more work to do (but is on the right track).
- There are bike lanes on almost every street, and some streets are considered “bike boulevards”.
- The CalTrain (which is a commuter-oriented train) has two cars on each train that are considered “bike cars”. A bike car has stalls inside for holding bikes while the patrons ride the train. There are also other options like the city and community bus, BART, and VTA light rail.
- Every establishment that I’ve been to here has ample bike parking located outside. It seems that in East Lansing the city has to fight developers to include bike racks.
- The sales tax here is 9.25%, compared to 6.00% in Michigan. There are also other fees related to buying LCD screens, etc. It doesn’t seem like 3.25% would be that noticeable, but it changes the way you think about the dollar menu 😛
- There is a park near me that features outdoor exercise equipment. It has a chest press, leg press, pull up bars, stationary bicycle, and more. It would be nice to see these included in parks in Michigan.
- By law, gas stations in California are required to offer free air and water to patrons who purchase fuel. It would be nice to see a similar law in Michigan, as improperly inflated tires are a major cause of auto accidents.
You might save money on car registration. Is it free there?
Lol, I don’t think it would be free here. Yesterday I learned that you can get a ticket for talking on a cellphone while riding a bike.
Re: Ticket while talking on a cellphone while riding a bike; that isn’t enforce is it? Well maybe only near intersections.
That sales tax is crazy! It really does start to add up!
I hope you are enjoying yourself over there!
Things are going well here. I just got my furniture yesterday (except somehow my computer got lost in transit?!). I miss lunching and throwing the football around with you guys.
I hope to come back in August for a couple of weeks and will make it a point to stop by TechSmith around lunchtime so we can all hang out.
They misplaced your computer! Geeze! I know that is the item you wanted most! I’m sure it’ll return, right?
When you return; try to swing by on a Friday around lunch-time! There are so many faces that it’ll work! 🙂
I know right?! Well they say they think they have found it and will FedEx it to me. I was quite worried.
I will definitely swing by on a Friday, just make sure to sign up for me 🙂