Seven Things You May (or May Not) Have Wanted to Know About Me
21 July, 2011 § 5 Comments
Browsing some of the Mozilla blogs, I came across JOEDREW! \o/’s blog post covering the seven things that people may or may not have known about Joe. Normally with these posts, you write one when you get tagged. I didn’t work at Mozilla when these were going around, so I’m gonna cheat at this :)
I’m Jared Wein, also known as JAWS. I currently work on the Firefox front-end user interface team, out of Mozilla’s Mountain View office, implementing many of the great designs that the Mozilla community comes up with.
Here are the rules for this particular meme
- Link to your original tagger(s) and list these rules in your post.
- Share seven facts about yourself in the post.
- Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
- Let them know they’ve been tagged.
My seven things:
1. I haven’t owned my own car for over 7 years. I got my first (and only) car when I was in high school. It had over 200,000 miles when I bought it (for $1,200) and I sold it for the same price two years later with over 230,000 miles on it. Since then I’ve gotten around using mopeds, bicycles, buses, trains, and occasionally borrowing a car from a family member.
2. I started working at my first job when I was 13 years old. I officially joined the payroll when I turned 14 years old, and worked about 20 hours a week all throughout high school. I continued to work through college, allowing me to pay more than half of my tuition out-of-pocket. In total, I’ve worked at an ice cream store, senior citizen center, real-estate company, university computer center, and a couple software companies.
3. I’m related to one of the worlds best bass-guitarists and lead singers, Geddy Lee of Rush. Geddy and I are 1st cousins once removed. Once a year or so, our family gets the opportunity to attend one of Rush’s concerts and hang out back stage.
4. When I was in elementary school, I attended a summer camp on the other side of the city. After camp let out, instead of waiting for my Mom to arrive to pick up me and my friend, Matt Bonefeld, we decided to walk home. My Mom didn’t really appreciate the fact that her 7 year old son was walking 4 miles home, but we made it home safe :)
5. Throughout middle school and high school, I worked tirelessly on a campaign to get a local skate park built. I started going door to door with my friend Evan Goodman and my brother Matt Wein to raise money. After we had raised $200, we attended one of the Lansing Area Skate Bike & Recreation Foundation meetings. The board members were surprised to see us walk in with the unexpected donations. Matt, Evan, and I eventually became a board members, playing a large role in raising over $200,000 for the skate park.
The skate park got built and opened in 2002 to much fan fare. The park was constructed by Team Pain, the group that also builds the skate parks for the X-Games.
6. My favorite TV series is Tha Ali G Show. I really like tongue-in-cheek comedy, and I think Sacha Baron Cohen does a great job at putting people in awkward situations. I have seen every episode of Tha Ali G Show, as well as a couple of his movies from the U.K. and the U.S.
7. I used to have an afro when I was in high school. At it’s longest point, I could pull hair down to reach my bottom lip. Since my junior year in high school I’ve been keeping my hair cut pretty short.
And now the people to tag:
- Randall Brown, because he’s a great story teller.
- Felipe Gomes, one of the happiest people I know.
- Frank Yan, a CSS ninja who finds great uses of ::before.
- Betsy Weber, one of the best Evangelists in the software industry.
- Davin Granroth, my web development mentor when I was at MSU,
- Justin Dolske, World’s Best Manager & Bacon Connoisseur
- Cameron Flint, open-source enthusiast and great developer.